Wilson Wonder Goal Goes Unrewarded

Thorniewood United 1 v Ashfield FC 2
Abercorn Central League Division 2 – 06/12/2003

Not for the first time this season, Thorniewood managed to lose a game in the last five minutes.  Infact this game was very much the typical game of two halves, with United playing some lovely football in the opening forty five minutes, only to let their opponents into the game in the second period.

It was Ashfield who created in the first chance after only three minutes when Mennie did well to save from a close range header from an Ashfield corner, much to the home teams relief the visitors managed to squander a glorious chance from the rebound.  This appeared to wake Thorniewood up and through Frame and Wilson in particular they managed to take control of the play, although the next twenty minutes did not see either side seriously threaten a goal, the United bench were happy with the way their team were playing.

If United were happy with their performance the home side were almost delirious when WILSON opened the scoring with as good a goal as you are likely to see.  Torrance took a quick through to McGoldrick who laid the ball up for Wilson who composed himself and fired home a 25 yard strike into to the top right hand corner of the net.

With the United midfield providing the platform, their forwards Torrance, Mullen and McGoldrick added some great movement, with McGoldrick in particular impressing with the way he held the ball up and looked to bring others into the game.

Ashfield did respond and could possibly have been level when Maxwell was clean through but fired over from 19 yards. Wilson not satisfied with his 25 yard goal then tried a 30 yard effort, however this time Lyle was their in the visitors goal to turn the ball round the post.

With five minutes to go to the interval, the impressive McGoldrick was forced off with an injury which was a blow as he was playing well. United Midfielder Tobin was also forced to come off at half time after landing on his shoulder awkwardly.

As seems to be the trend in recent weeks United seem unable to put two halves of football together and so it proved again.  With on minutes of the half gone, Ashfield broke the United offside trap and Powers managed to score.

Uniteds last chance of the game fell to Mullen but he was stopped by a good Japp tackle when through on goal, having been sent clear by a well weighted Torrance pass.

Ashfield had a number of chances before their job was made easier when Shields was sent off for United, for a second booking.  It looked a harsh decision on the United Defender, when it appeared he won the ball.

With only five minutes left, United presented their visitors with an early Christmas present.  A missed place clearance sent Ashfield through on Mennie, who had saved well only minutes before, however this time the ball was squared to Doolin and he made no mistake.

Thorniewood: Mennie, McGraw, McGill  Shields, Tobin (Ward 45), Frame, Wilson, Cruickshank, Mullen, Torrance (Fennessey 83),McGoldrick (Miller 40)
Subs not Used –  Duns, Collins
Ashfield Lyle, Grant, McLaughlin, Japp, Lowrie, Clements, Allan, Doolin, Maxwell, Powers, McKinnon
Subs – Stevenson, Heron, O’Rourke, Connaty, Baird